Sunday, May 31, 2009

Join the wagon of enzyme

I had put off making garbage enzyme for quite a while. I was wondering what all the hype was about. Was it such a wonder liquid? It was reported to be a fantastic cleaning agent, a fertilizer additive, etc, stop short of saying it is miracle water. My skepticism got the better of me and I told myself, I will not jump in the wagon of garbage enzyme.

Then came the turning point. I was introduced to meet the enzyme itself, It did not look as bad or smell as bad as I had imagine it to be. So, armed with the recipe, I trotted home and started my first enzyme. That was slightly 6 weeks ago. Now I am just waiting for the first of my 3 bottles to complete the fermentation cycle.

Upon furthering reading up on the enzyme, it is nothing more than vinegar. Making vinegar is the similar process of making enzyme. It then dawned upon me that many of the uses of vinegar have been replicated in the uses of garbage enzyme. Haiya, why all the trouble to collect my garbage then? Well, the plus side of this is I have less organic waste to pass to by garbage man and less organic waste for my dogs to dig up when I composed them.

The “fragrance” emitted from the ferment is dependant on what organic waste is used in the fermentation process. I stuck mainly to citrus fruits peels, pandan leaves and mango skins (because it was mango season and I had abundance of the peels).


Next on my agenda was fruit enzyme. I have heard too much about dragon fruit enzyme and it cost a bomb to buy it. This is one of the few moments I enjoyed surfing the internet. I found various “recipes” for making fruit enzyme. Most of the recipe guides used sugar and fruits only, no water. I decided to join this wagon too. Since the fruit I had on hand was pineapple and a green apple, I decided to make 2 fruit enzymes. I only had to go out to buy my lemon.


Well, it is now 2 weeks into my fruit enzyme and it is turning out well. I can’ wait for the 3rd week to come when I can drink my enzyme. I intend to continue fermenting half of the fruit enzyme and hopefully turn out some alcoholic drink out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment